The BSEd major in English is a four-year degree program designed to prepare students to become globally competitive licensed English teachers. Students who complete the program will be able to apply principles as well as cutting-edge strategies and skills in teaching English as a second language. It will also prepare students to design lessons that meet the diverse needs of second language speakers as they transition to the first language learned in the K–12 curriculum. Likewise, program graduates are equipped with fundamental knowledge in conducting action research in education, preparing them for graduate studies and careers as researchers in the field. Furthermore, it is expected that the graduates will embody the NONESCOST brand of education, which includes the ability to demonstrate proficiency, mastery, and application of content, pedagogy, and technological knowledge in the chosen field and exhibit exemplary character, proactiveness, and cultural responsiveness to the needs of the community.
The program shall produce a graduate who can:
- articulate and discuss the latest developments in the specific field of practice.
- effectively communicate in English and Filipino, both orally and in writing.
- work effectively and collaboratively with a substantial degree of independence in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams.
- act in recognition of professional, social, and ethical responsibility.
- preserve and promote “Filipino historical and cultural heritage” (based on RA 7722).
- articulate the rootedness of education in philosophical, socio-cultural, historical, and political contexts.
- demonstrate mastery of subject matter/discipline.
- facilitate learning using a wide range of teaching methodologies and delivery modes appropriate to specific learners and their environments.
- develop innovative curricula, instructional plans, teaching approaches, and resources for diverse learners.
- apply skills in the development and utilization of ICT to promote quality, relevant, and sustainable educational practices.
- demonstrate a variety of thinking skills in planning, monitoring, assessing, and reporting learning processes and outcomes.
- practice professional and ethical teaching standards sensitive to the local, national, and global realities.
- pursue lifelong learning for personal and professional growth through varied experiential and field-based opportunities.
- possess broad knowledge of language and literature for effective learning.
- use English as a global language in a multilingual context as it applies to the teaching of language and literature.
- acquire extensive reading background in language, literature and allied field
- demonstrate proficiency in oral and written communication.
- shows competence in employing innovative language and literature teaching approaches, methodologies, and strategies.
- use technology in facilitating language learning and teaching.
- inspire students and colleagues to lead relevant and transformative changes to improve learning and teaching language and literature.
- display skills and abilities to be a reflective and research-oriented language and literature teacher.
CARREER OPPORTUN ITIES
- Junior High School English/Literature Teacher
- Senior High School English/Literature Teacher
- English Language Teacher
- School Program Coordinator
- Instructional Planner
- Textbook Author
- Online tutors
- Call Center Trainer/Agent
- Company Language Tutor
- Educational Trainer/Seminar Facilitator
- Speech Coach
- Learning Materials Writer/Editor
- Researcher in English Language Education
- Other teaching-related jobs
Program Head, BSEd-English
REQUIREMENTS TO BE PART IN THE PROGRAM
- Passed the Entrance examination.
ENTRANCE EXAM REQUIREMENTS:
Incoming First Year Students:
- Vaccination Card
- 1st semester Report Card
- NCAE Results
-2x2 Picture with Name tag
- Vaccination Card
-Transcript of Record
-2x2 Picture with Name
- With JHS/SHS General Weighted Average of 85 up.
- Passed the Interview Conducted by the College.